So close to finished I can taste it. I got the aura pieces cut out and shaped and now am gluing them on. I made them from a slightly thicker leather for support and then just shaped them by hand by pinching to form the details. In this pick I am gluing them together with Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate Super Glue. I am trying to find an alternative to Barges Contact Cement which always makes me feel bad from the fumes. We’ll see if this works. The clothespins are holding together the glued seam. I think that once it sets up I will cover the seam with a very thin goat or pig skin to make a nice finished look.
So for Valentine’s day we got up early in the morning and started get ready to cast the plaster for the mask molds. We decided to make a very simple copy of one of the life masks first so that I would have a male and female head to work on when I have to give the loaner ones I am using back to my friend. Then we had to make a hardware store run for buckets to mix the plaster in. So eventually we got back and painted the masks with mold release and got the head we were going to cast set up.
I had some adorable visitors today. My friend DW came over to finish her pattern and brought her two Italian Greyhounds, Lou and Willow Rose, with her. They are amazingly calm for dogs. They are a lot more like cats in that they like to curl up in a nice warm spot and sit there for hours. This is Willow Rose all curled up in her blankets which I just thought was so sweet.
Well, I didn’t get to blog yesterday because I was being too productive. (Isn’t that exciting). I got a great start on the clay mask sculptures that I am going to use to cast mask making forms. I also helped my friend DW work on a pattern for a lovely 13th century dress which I am completely going to steal for myself.
Today was an odd day. Scattered through the day came bit of news that my old employer was laying off another round of people many of whom I know. It is the strangest feeling of remembered sadness from all the times I was in the middle of it, and odd guilt that I am finally free of that particular endless circle of pain. I found the words to the anthem we sang tonight at choir practice spoke directly to my heart. I’m weary with my former toil, This fruit doth make my soul to thrive,
Here I will sit and rest awhile:
Under the shadow I will be,
Of Jesus Christ the apple tree.
It keeps my dying faith alive;
Which makes my soul in haste to be
With Jesus Christ the apple tree.
Today was an odd day. Scattered through the day came bit of news that my old employer was laying off another round of people many of whom I know. It is the strangest feeling of remembered sadness from all the times I was in the middle of it, and odd guilt that I am finally free of that particular endless circle of pain. I found the words to the anthem we sang tonight at choir practice spoke directly to my heart.
I’m weary with my former toil,
This fruit doth make my soul to thrive,
Well, I am feeling a temendous sense of accomplishment today because I finally finished cleaning up and reorganizing my art closet. I had to make some new boxes to store the mask making supplies and had to clean up so I would have a place to put them. I absolutely love my craft closet. Originally it was actually a linen cabinet and a coat closet that was too shallow for hangers in the hallway leading to the bedrooms. When Jim and I redid that area of the house we decided to combine the two into one big shallow closet with double doors and it seemed to be the perfect place to store all the arts and craft supplies.
I then used a leather punch on the smallest setting to punch two opposing holes in each horn and strung them on clear 1.8 mm elastic (used for beading.) I tied a knot around the elastic so it would fit on my head. I used vinyl spackle to fill in the crack that was left over from rolling them into a cone so that they would have a nice even surface and let hat dry for about an hour while I went out to an appointment.
I finally got the prototype mask done for the Tempest and I am very pleased. I had to paint the back, and do some small touchup work to the front. I then added a few gems and some transparent sequins to the front to catch the light, and a bit of gold trim to cover the leather seam. I put them on with Crafter’s Pick glue which seems to have worked very well on the first mask that I added gems to. The sequins and trim are a new thing so we will see if they stay on. I also sprayed the whole thing with a light layer of acrylic sealer to see if I could give it more protection from absorbing heat and moisture. Only time will tell.